Archive for category: Preschool Ponderings
7 Things Children Learn from Playing with Legos/0 Comments/in Preschool Ponderings /by Taylor
At Newtown Discovery Preschool one of the main philosophies is encouraging children to consistently be learning through play.
The average preschool age child’s attention span is less than 15 minutes, so they tend to learn best through fun activities and games.
One exciting feature of Newtown Discovery Preschool’s dedicated learning through play center is the Lego room. Playing with Legos has a multitude of benefits for young children.
- Legos develop fine motor skills. Because they come in all different shapes & sizes, Legos are a great manipulative way to work a child’s fingers. Children will develop dexterity, muscle control and pressure awareness.
- Legos translate into understanding of other subjects & skills. Legos can be used as tools for lessons in math, science and language. Our curriculum uses Lego play to help children develop understanding of a variety of subjects.
- Legos allow children to develop creativity. Children can use Legos as an avenue for storytelling, discovery and investigation. There are no limits to what can be done or built with a set of Legos, which encourages children to be imaginative and explore.
- Legos give children a sense of accomplishment. When children work hard to build a creation from their own imagination, showing off the final product is an exciting moment. These positive experiences help develop self-esteem and confidence.
- Legos encourage perseverance. Working hard on a project to have it crash down is frustrating, but provides an opportunity for a lesson in both persistence and critical thinking. Why did it fall over? What can we do next time to prevent that from happening again? Then, the child can keep going and try again.
- Legos inspire collaboration. By working together on a Lego project, students will develop communication and social skills.
- Legos help explain engineering & science concepts. Through consistent play with Legos, children will quickly learn what it takes to build a lasting structure. Cause and effect, the scientific method, and more can all be connected to Lego play.
Because Legos can be used to explain and explore so many different educational foundations, the Newtown Discovery Preschool’s Lego room is an exciting and unique addition that sets the facility apart.
Whether students are learning to count, working together as a team to construct the highest tower, or just developing dexterity and strength, Legos are a useful and important tool in the Newtown Discovery Preschool curriculum.
To learn more about Newtown Discovery Preschool, complete the form below! Opening January 2020.
The Importance of Learning Through Play/0 Comments/in Preschool Ponderings /by Taylor
The most important philosophy at Newtown Discovery Preschool in Bucks County, PA is to foster an environment & curriculum where children are learning through play. Read more
The Importance of Movement and Activity for Preschoolers/0 Comments/in Preschool Ponderings /by Taylor
Movement and activity are essential to the development of preschool age children. Studies show that there are countless benefits children reap from activity aside from just overall health and wellness, including increased focus, memory retention and cognitive processing. Read more
27 Blacksmith Road
Newtown, PA 18940